Wednesday 26 December 2012

Joyful Tidings!

I tried desperately to post before the Big Day, I even got as far as typing a fair amount, but alas, I could not quite find the time to finish it off, what with all these festivities going on! I guess there is still time to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, even if Christmas Day has passed.
The lead up to Christmas was as usual, busy. I was far too excited this year, that's what having a little one does to you! I was far more excited than her, as she is still too young to really understand. But the look on her face was priceless when we went downstairs in the morning to find a load of presents spilling out from under the Christmas tree.


It's the most I've ever seen for us all, even if 80% of them were for the Little Lady. We counted 99 to open in total, which took some time to wade through.
Little P opened her first present which was a lovely box of Crayola colouring pencils. That was it. She was so happy with just them, there was no need for the rest. In the end I had to hide them so she would forget about them and open some more. I opened a lot for/with her as she was totally overwhelmed with the whole thing. How could she possibly have all these new things at once? I was excited too for her, as apart from what I had bought her, I didn't know what she was receiving.
After a marathon of opening, the lounge looked somewhat like a tip. We waded through the debris, sorting paper from presents, and cleared a little area to test all the new toys out. The pencils were still hot favourites. Which was fine, as my present to her was an easel. A lovely little double-sided, chalkboard and magnetic white board type thing, with a roll of paper and a handy tray. I set to assembling it, eager to have a go! Her Nana and Grandad had given her two lovely magnet sets, so we started playing with those on the board. No need for messy chalk today! As usual, I began to take over, as I love all that stuff!
She did really well present-wise, not too much bulky stuff either so no frantically finding 'homes' for things. There was a lot of nice books and clothes, a couple of DVDs (for when I need a 5 minute break!) and a few toys and colouring books. Lovely. I'm very happy. For her obviously!
I didn't do so bad either, as amongst those 99 packages were some with my name on. Some I was expecting, as I had asked for them, like the usual slippers and dressing gown, but others were a lovely surprise. My parents took note of when I had said in conversation that I'd like to do an old fashioned jigsaw, and they duly delivered. We managed to get the edges together last night, so I will be continuing with that adventure today!
My friend also spoilt me with some crafty gifts. I got this treasure:


...a novel, combining two of my favourite things, crochet and a good old murder mystery, so I'm looking forward to reading that! And also these lovely stitch markers...


So pretty. Later in the day, I received an e-mail from Crafsty, informing me that said friend had also gifted me an online class - Design Your Own Amigurumi Monster by Stacey Trock aka Freshstitches. This is brilliant! I can't wait to have a proper look later, and get started on my 'classes'!

Crochet lately has been understandably slow. There has been too much going on, that by the time Little P has gone to bed, I'm ready to sleep too! She has also dropped her afternoon sleep, meaning my little bit of after lunch hooky time has disappeared. But I can't complain, as she is great fun and no trouble. She's started more imaginative play now, making tea for everyone! She is quite hilarious, turning in to a proper little toddler, it's wonderful.
When I have had a chance, I have continued with the Tree Skirt for my parents, using a pattern I found on Ravelry here.


I'm using Stylecraft Inspiration Chunky in Flame, Sorbet and Cream. Whilst I love the colours, this wool is far too itchy for me, which is fine for a tree skirt, but I wouldn't want to make a blanket out of it.


I also made my own little snowman to go with Ronald the Reindeer. I loved had cute and chunky Ronald was, and wanted to create a similar feel with the snowman. I haven't done this! My prototype is OK, he looks like a snowman, others seem to like him, but I still think he looks a bit scary. Child-catcher (from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) comes to mind. I think maybe its the hat, and he would look better if it was something softer, so I'll mull it over for a while! Shame, I was proud of how the hat turned out too!



Right, best be off, much jigsawing to be done, and rest to be had. Plus I think I am getting a cold, which is terrible timing! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment